SCA has issued circular no 5/2015 introducing a new arrival limit for all vessels.
The major changes are that all vessels have a so called ‘free run’ which means that each vessel can transit without stopping inside the Canal (subject to traffic situation). Furthermore, the arrival limit will be 2300hrs for both north and southbound vessels instead of 0200hrs for northbound and 1900hrs for southbound vessels. Following new arrival limits will be effective as of 5th August 2015:
Port Said: South of lat. 31 28 .7 N limited by long. 32 37.43 E. Deadline 2300hrs.
Port Tewfik (Suez): North of lat. 29 42. 8 N. limited by long. 32 23 .1 E & Long. 32 41 .5 E. Deadline 2300hrs.
We expect SCA to amend the Rules of Navigation in respect to the late arrival dues shortly and according to our sources the arrival limit can be extended by paying an additional due of 5, 10 or 12% of the canal tolls as per flwg scheme:
a) Vessels arriving between 2300 and 2400hrs can join the convoy against a payment of a surcharge equal to 5% of the normal transit dues with a maximum of SDR 12500.
b) Vessels arriving after 2400hrs and up to 0100hrs can join the convoy against the payment of a surcharge equal to 10% of the normal transit dues with a maximum of SDR 25000.
c) Vessels arriving after 0100hrs may join the convoy, if traffic conditions permit, against the payment of a surcharge equal to 12% of the normal transit dues with a maximum of SDR 30000.
The Southbound convoy starts at 0330hrs with direct transit
The Northbound convoy starts at 0400hrs with dct transit
THE NEW SUEZ CANAL
(1) The new Suez Canal shall be opened for navigation on 06/08/1015
(2) Traffic system in the Suez Canal including the new Canal shall be as follows:
a- Number of convoys: Two convoys
* The Southbound convoy starts at 0330- direct transit.
* The Northbound convoy starts at 0400- direct transit.
b- Limit Time of Arrival
* Port Said: South of lat. 31 28 .7 N Limited by long. 32 37.43 E. at 2300.
* Port Tewfik. North of lat. 29 42. 8 N. limited by long. 32 23 .1 E & Long. 32 41 .5 E. at 2300
(3) Pilotage system is applied as before.
(4)The permissible speed:
16 km / hr. for ordinary vessels
14 km / hr. for Tankers.
(5) The New Suez Canal has been equipped with navigational aids: (buoys, bollard pulls and pilotage stations).
(6) Amended Suez Canal Rules of Navigation, August edition 2015 has been issued.
(7) Electronic Charts have been issued for the new Suez Canal.
(8) The charts, Rules of Navigation and publications are available at Edward Company for Maritime Services:
(9) Enhancing the safety of LNG, LPG and tankers with SC tugs.
(10) Charts of the Suez Canal cross section are attached.
To see the attached Charts :
Director of Transit Dept
Eng./ Mohamed Sakr El-Arabi